Monday, September 29, 2008

THE ANTIDOTE

(1)
Lights blinked around my open eyes
Seeming to be a thousand little fireflies.
I knew they were but in my head
Holding on to sanity, though doom it may have bade.
I saw sunshine everywhere,
Shining on mirrors, clear beyond compare,
Except somewhere in my scorched heart-
Where darkness always plays a mean part.
A mean part in an unending play,
Throw in some dissent into the fray.

(2)
The tendrils of the dark started to creep
Like a toxic poison through me it may sweep.
I reached out for the antidote, that called love
But my head asked my heart: “Am I good enough?”
I hesitated; I could not answer that
My body racked, as brooding I sat.

(3)
I want to get over things like these
But the devil takes over- I start to wheeze.
Suddenly all change, everything goes dark,
Misshapen and grotesque shadows lurk.
(4)
Gloom settles down, thunder-clouds roar
Sunshine tries in vain to push to the fore.
The chill breeze ripples the surface of the lake
The devil has found another nubile soul to take.
To make it his own and order it around
So it does his bidding without uttering a sound.
(5)
I see darkness, and I see pain
I look back, and I see my bane.
I see sorrow, and I see tears
I see nothing and i feel unknown fears.
I run left, and I look right,
Then i see hope- a single ray of light.
(6)
I swim throught he darkness and trudge through the swap,
And to salvation.
The light comes closer; grows bigger too.
Spreading its arms to embrace me; I feel no woe.
I reach out for it
With my eyes strangely lit.
(7)
I reach out for the antidote: that called love
I give myself up; it does not feel so tough.
I give myself up to love
As it courses through me and makes me laugh.
I give myself up to love

The antidote is something I can never have enough.

No comments: